Is Chromium installed on your PC automatically without consent? Well, this is a common problem as many people complain about seeing Chromium installed on their Windows PC. So, is it a virus? Can it be removed? Well, today, we will share simple steps on How to Uninstall Chromium from PC.
And yes, don’t worry; our guide is for both Windows and Mac users. So, whether you own a Windows laptop or a Macbook, you will be able to remove Chromium completely from your PC or Laptop.
What Is Chromium?
Chromium is not a virus, in fact, it is an open-source project developed by Google. The main reason for developing Chromium is to make people aware of the source code of the Google Chrome browser. But, often, many developers use the “Chromium” name to create fake Chrome browsers or applications.
If you install the Chrome browser from third-party sites, your privacy can be at risk.
Chromium collects cookies and information about the users. This stored information can be used for various purposes. One of them is using them to show ads. If you don’t use Chromium, then you should uninstall it to protect your privacy.
It is important to note that the Chromium browser and the Google Chrome browser are not the same thing. Chromium is the open-source project that Chrome is based on, but Chrome includes additional proprietary features and software that are not available in Chromium. While Chromium is considered safe to use, it is important to be aware of the fact that it can be used as the base for malicious software.
How To Identify Chromium Malware?
If your PC has Chromium malware, then it is very essential to uninstall it. Here is the list of some problems you can face on your computer if the installed Chromium tool is malware.
- What if you haven’t installed Chromium on your machine, but it is present in the list of installed applications. That means your security is at risk.
- If your default browser is changed to Chromium without your permission, then there is a high chance that it is malware.
- While surfing, if a huge number of advertisements and other spam pop up on your screen. And often, your browser prompts you to install apps on your computer.
- Chromium Malware changes your search engine without your permission. So while opening your browser, if any unexpected search website appears, that means you’re infected with malware.
If you have faced any of the above signs on your computer, that clearly means you need to take strict action.
Here is how to remove Chromium:-
How To Uninstall Chromium On Windows?
There are two ways to uninstall Chromium on windows, i.e., by using a control panel and another method by using third-party apps.
1. Remove Chromium Using Control Panel
Here are some quick steps to go through to uninstall Chromium:-
- Press Windows+R simultaneously and type the control panel into the search bar.
- Click on Uninstall a program option and choose Chromium from the list. Click on the uninstall button available at the header of the window.
- Now a confirmation box will appear on your screen. That will ask you to click on the Uninstall button to confirm the request.
2. Delete Chromium Using Third-Party Apps
There are a lot of third-party uninstallers available online for Windows users. Today we’re going to use Revo Uninstaller. This software comes with very advanced features.
More than one program can be uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller at the same time. Any junk file stored on your computer can also be deleted. Revo Uninstaller is compatible with both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows operating systems.
Here are some quick steps to go through to uninstall Chromium using Revo.
- Open Revo Uninstaller and click on the Uninstall tab available in the header section. Now a list of all installed programs will appear on your screen. Now select Chromium and tap on Uninstall.
- A pop-up window will appear on your screen asking you to confirm the uninstallation request. Click on Uninstall to confirm your request.
- Once uninstallation gets completed, Choose Advanced scan mode to check for all the files stored as residual traces of Chromium. Select all the unnecessary files and click on Next, and tap on the delete button.
How To Uninstall Chromium On Mac?
Here is how you can delete Chromium on Mac:-
- Open Finder on your Mac and go to the Application folder. Delete Chromium by moving it to the trash folder.
Moving Chromium to the trash folder will not delete all its traces. You need to manually delete all the traces of Chromium. Here is how you can do this.
- Go to Finder on your Mac. Navigate to the path Menu Bar-Go- Library.
- Check the Application Support, Caches, and Preferences folder available in the Library.
Find the Chromium folder and delete it completely.
This way, you can get rid of Chromium malware from your Macbook.
So, this is how you can get rid of Chromium from your Laptop. If you are still facing difficulties, let us know in the comments. We will try to help you personally with your issues.